It’s officially time to start layering up. While there’s nothing better than cozy sweaters and cute beanies, winter brings its own set of style struggles, especially when you have curves. From layering tricks to finding tights that are actually comfy, check out these amazing ways to own your curves this winter.
1. Trade a boxy poncho for an open cardigan. Instead of hiding your gorgeous curves under a boxy pullover style, show them off with an open cardigan. Both styles are totally cute and have a trendy, boho vibe. But tucking a tee into your jeans and layering an open cardigan over creates an hourglass shape that flaunts, rather than conceals, your gorge figure. For even more curve appeal, add a skinny belt!
Left: Plus Size Geo-Patterned Open-Front Cardigan, $34.90, forever21.com
2. Look for the tights with a lot of stretch. It might seem obvious that you want your tights to be stretchy to skim your curves, but most styles don’t have a ton of elastic. You need elastic so the fabric will fit close to the body — any extra space in between your skin and the tights (especially in the crotch!), and you’ll get the dreaded chafing. We love The Big Tights Company for up to a size 4XL, We Love Colors for bold patterns, and Hanes Just My Size for sheer styles.
View this post on Instagram
In short, if you’re a size 22 – 34, they are amazing. #psfashion #psbloggers #psootd #fbloggers #ootd #plussize #plusfashion #plusmodelmag #plussizefashion #plussize #styleblogger #fat #fatshion #curve #curvy #andigetdressed #whatiwore #celebratemysize #effyourbeautystandards #honormycurves #fatshion #bodypositive #wearethethey #skorchmagazine #sizefat #fullfigure #fullfiguredfashion #plussizepinup #fashionlovesphotos #hoisery #plussizetights
A post shared by Diana – Fashion Loves Photos (@grungekittyphotogeek) on Nov 4, 2015 at 12:02pm PST
3. Cut off the sleeves of a too-tight jacket to make an adorable vest. When you really love a jacket’s cut, but it’s a bit too tight in the arms, use a seam ripper to just remove the arms. Layer your new vest over a more comfortable shirt or dress that you love. All of a sudden you have a trendy, layered look perfect for chilly days.
4. Ditch the oversized hoodie for a cropped sweatshirt. Sure, there are days when a big, baggy sweatshirt is all you want to wear, but why not show off your bod in a cropped style? It’s just as cozy, but totally H-O-T.
Right: “On Fleek” Sweatshirt, $33.95, rebdolls.com
5. Rock a bold color or print on your favorite part of your body. This OG trick never fails to make you look #flawless. If you love your chest and arms, try a bold coat to highlight your top half. Got a booty that makes others jel? Go for a black sweater and bright skirt or pants!
View this post on Instagram
for @katespadeny’s holiday party last week. More on the blog | www.nicolettemason.com @lydiahudgens
A post shared by nicolette mason (@nicolettemason) on Nov 9, 2015 at 11:25am PST
6. Choose boots with stretch in the back. It’s the worst when you try to tuck your jeans into your boots and the fabric just won’t go in because the calf is too tight. If you try a knee-high boot with a panel of stretchy fabric in the back, your life will be so much easier and a lot more comfortable.
Scuba Faux Leather Tall Boots, $69.50, torrid.com
7. Wear a coat with a defined waist. Keep your winter coat from swallowing you whole by rocking one with a nipped-in waist. It’ll still keep you warm, but won’t hide your shape.
Right: ASOS Curve Skater Coat With Faux Fur Hood, $135, asos.com
8. Tuck in boxy sweaters so your waist doesn’t get lost. Try this super-easy hack that street style stars swear by! Take a loose top and tuck it into your jeans or a skirt just a little bit in the front. It defines your waist while looking effortlessly cool.
I’m Liz, the fashion and beauty girl at Seventeen.com.