Elegant Home Decor Inspiration & Ideas
Your empty room is a fresh canvas! What can you do with all of this untapped potential? At first it can be a bit daunting, but with the right home accents, you can begin to define focal points in your masterpiece one piece at a time. A room adorned with luxury home decor will not only reflect your unique style and taste, it will elevate the aesthetics of your home to create a genuine extension of your personality. But choosing the best home decor is more than a matter of taste. You have to consider scale, color themes, the balance of items in your space, and style points for a well rounded decor theme. Leading with quality in mind, here are just some of the finer points to consider when shopping for luxury home decor.
Luxury Home Decor Tips
When you consider what home decorations will truly elevate your style, you can approach things from a functional perspective, a purely decorative point of view, or from an outlook that gracefully marries the two. Pictured below you will find a little bit of each to help stir up some inspiration and get the gears turning about what matters most to you!
Functional Home Accent Ideas
Home decor can certainly be functional by helping your perform tasks or by addressing a specific need. From holding books to telling time or keeping you warm and cozy, finding ways to make your home decor items work double time is always a plus. From bookends and fireplaces to clocks and throw pillows, what’s represented above is just a small sample of the duality of functional home decor.
Pro Tips for Functional Home Decor
- Texture is in! From hammered metals and distressed materials to faux concrete and hand applied finishes, rich textures add depth across many top home decor accessories.
- Organics have also become a mainstay in the world of decor in recent years. This includes natural wood branches, hammered or caste organic forms in metal structures, textiles, natural motifs and more.
- Books have also become a staple in interior design, often punctuated by decor. Note how designer home decor scenes almost always have books present – on a nightstand, propping decor items, acting as a coaster for plants, etc. Not unlike the beautiful books that fill your collection, the options are boundless!
Ornamental Home Decor Ideas
When it comes to beautifying a home, luxury home decor items like the examples pictured above can make a huge difference from a purely aesthetic perspective. While items like sculptures, glass art, fountains and wreaths don’t necessarily address practical needs, they work wonders for enhancing the aesthetic appeal of any room. Adding personality, starting conversations and giving you home a unique feel, home decor of ornamental value put key finishing touches on any room.
Pro Tips for Ornamental Home Accents
- Gold and other metallics continue to get the royal treatment in the world of luxury decor. A blossoming trend for many years now, gold has spread its influence across the market, especially when paired with matte black finishes for dramatic contrast.
- Strategic use of artistic glass pieces in well lit areas can create light play for a dreamy and inspired area during the “golden hours” of the day.
- Bold and inventive statuaries will add liveliness and strike up conversations, especially when the symbolism ties back to a personal anecdote.
Fancy Yet Functional Home Decor
Talk about loving your decor and using it too! Wherever you can successfully blend function and flair, decor can work double time. Why not add light to a room with eclectic, distressed lanterns? Perfume the air with fresh flowers or potpourri in a decorative bowl. Or even turn something as utilitarian as a side table into a knotty, organic wonder of your home with an inspired teak or driftwood conversation starter.
Pro Tips for Fancy Yet Functional Home Decor
- Tying to the organic trend, elements of water and fire are welcome statements in home decor. Think candles, lanterns, and fountains for starters.
- Engage more than one sense at a time with decor as often as possible. For instance, scent the air with candles while tapping into the artistry of an inspired candle sconce.
- Utilize diversity of form with sets of three or five, matching home decor accessories of different sizes to create depth and diversity of form.
Large Home Decor
Getting Playful with Scale
Truly elegant home decor comes in all shapes and sizes. Gaining popularity, large home decor has the potential to make a big statement in surprising ways. Scaling up your favorite designer home decor will not only liven up a space, it can play with perspective to add grandiose flourishes and build a truly unforgettable space. Oversized home decor is inherently a statement. So make sure it really taps into the essence of what you want your guests, friends, and even yourself to experience in your home!
Pro Tips for Large Home Accents
- When going big, keep in mind the interaction with other room elements. Bohemian styles, for instance, allow for the use of several large items in a single space. Do remember, that look isn’t for everyone. If any semblance of clutter is like nails on a chalkboard for you, less is more with large home decor items.
- Oversized wall decor should contrast with the paint color of your walls. Darker tones compliment lighter finishes or metallic decor, for example.
- Note that most large home decor is generally placed against a wall, in a corner, or hung to separate it from trafficked areas.
Elegant Wall Decor
From Beautiful Wall Art to Tapestries
No home decor scene would be complete without elegant wall decor. Since these decor elements are at eye level, this is perhaps one of the most important decor decisions you will make. From wall art to tapestries and artistic objects, you’ll want to look at your room as a whole for picking the right pieces to add key finishing touches.
Pro Tips for Wall Home Decor
- Look at your wall space as sections or a whole. If you have an entire wall to work with, tapestries are a bold option. If you have a half wall above a couch, table or other furniture, consider piecing smaller wall decor in strategic groups to fill the space.
- Think carefully about spacing. Depending on the size of each piece of wall decor, you’ll want to create adequate to ample spacing between room elements depending on your personal preferences. A good idea for wall art is to use cardboard and tape for placement before permanently hanging your items. This will allow flexibility in slightly shifting your wall are up or down or to the side.
- For smaller rooms, try to stick with two dimensional wall art. If you have room to spare, three dimensional wall decor pieces can create depth and texture, but will just slightly into the room.