At NerdWallet, we strive to help you make financial decisions with confidence. To do this, many or all of the products featured here are from our partners. However, this doesn’t influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
NerdWallet is a free tool to find you the best credit cards, cd rates, savings, checking accounts, scholarships, healthcare and airlines. Start here to maximize your rewards or minimize your interest rates. Lacie Glover
Nationwide reviews and ratings
- Customer satisfaction ratings are average or better.
- Fewer customer complaints than expected for home and life insurance products.
- One-stop insurer offers most types of personal insurance policies.
Although it’s probably best known for car insurance, Nationwide offers many types of insurance and financial products. If you prefer to bundle insurance products with a financially strong company, Nationwide might be a good fit.
Nationwide auto insurance
4.0 NerdWallet rating
Nationwide auto insurance earned 4.0 stars out of 5 for overall performance. NerdWallet’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The scoring formula takes into account pricing and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, financial strength, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings, Nationwide is among NerdWallet’s Best Car Insurance Companies for 2020.
Nationwide offers all that you’d expect from an auto insurer, plus a few additional options and perks.
- Gap insurance pays the difference between the cash value of your car when it was totaled or stolen and the amount of money left on your loan or lease. This insurance may be required by your lender, and you must purchase comprehensive and collision coverage to get it.
- SmartRide uses an app or device that plugs into your car’s diagnostic port to track your driving behavior. It can track mileage, fast acceleration, hard braking and time of day you drive. Nationwide uses the data to determine your discount, up to 40%, for safe driving. Drivers can get an initial discount just for signing up.
- Vanishing deductible: This optional program allows you to chip away at your deductible by driving safely. For every year you don’t have an accident, your deductible goes down by $100, up to a $500 reduction.
- On Your Side Review: Every year and after a major life event, you can take advantage of a free assessment by one of Nationwide’s agents to help you determine whether your insurance policies are right for you and go over any available discounts.
- Accident forgiveness helps you avoid a rate increase after you or someone on your policy causes a crash. It’s not available in every state, and Nationwide will only forgive one accident per policy.
» MORE: Compare car insurance rates
Nationwide’s auto insurance discounts include:
- Multi-policy discount.
- Anti-theft discount.
- SmartRide insurance program discount.
- Accident-free discount.
- Good student discount.
- Safe driver discount.
- Discount if you sign up for automatic payments.
- Affinity member discount for being part of groups like alumni associations or professional organizations.
Nationwide homeowners insurance
Nationwide offers home insurance with typical coverage options, plus perks like ordinance or law insurance, which covers the cost of rebuilding your house to current building codes during a claim. The company also offers a few extras you can opt into, including:
- Brand New Belongings: If your belongings are damaged, destroyed or stolen, Nationwide will reimburse you for brand-new items rather than for the value of your old things.
- Better Roof Replacement: If you need to replace your roof and the damage is covered by your policy, Nationwide will reimburse you to have it rebuilt with stronger and safer materials than your old roof.
- Water backup of sewer coverage pays if your house is damaged by water backup through sewers or drains.
- Valuables Plus offers additional coverage for valuables such as jewelry, antiques and art if they are stolen or damaged.
Nationwide’s home insurance discounts:
- Multi-policy discount.
- Receive a discount if you purchased a home within the last 12 months.
- Protective device discount for having burglar or smoke alarms.
- Earn a discount if you stay claim-free.
- Discount for home renovations, including electrical or plumbing upgrades.
- Prior insurance discount,
- Gated community discount.
- Discount based on your roof’s age and surface type.
Nationwide life insurance
Nationwide offers a full roster of life insurance products, including term life, whole life, universal life and variable life insurance.
Nationwide term life insurance comes in 10-, 15-, 20- or 30-year policies, many of which can be converted to permanent life insurance at the end of the term.
Nationwide complaints and customer satisfaction
Nationwide had fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for home and life insurance relative to its size, according to according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. For auto insurance, Nationwide had about the expected number of complaints for its size.
Nationwide ranks about average or lower for auto and home insurance customer satisfaction, but ranks better than most for life insurance products according to J.D. Power studies.
|2019 J.D. Power Study||Nationwide ranks…|
|Auto Insurance Shopping||Among the rest|
|Auto Insurance Claims Satisfaction||About average|
|Home Insurance||Among the rest|
|Property Insurance Claims||About average|
|Life Insurance||Better than most|
More about Nationwide
Website: Nationwide’s website has a portal where you can pay bills, manage policies and view documents. The site also has tools for planning your retirement.
Mobile app: You can manage your policy, start a claim, call for roadside assistance and get auto insurance ID cards on the Nationwide mobile app, available for iOS and Android.
|Other types of insurance from Nationwide include:|
|Condo insurance||Identity theft insurance|
|Renters insurance||Boat insurance|
|Motorcycle insurance||RV insurance|
|Dental insurance||Business insurance|
|ATV insurance||Umbrella insurance|
|Travel insurance||Snowmobile insurance|
Recap: Nationwide Pros and Cons
|Fewer than the expected number of complaints to state regulators for home and life insurance||Average or lower customer satisfaction for auto and home insurance|
|Customer satisfaction for life insurance is better than most other comparable companies|
|Wide variety of products for customers who want to buy multiple products from one company|
Auto insurance ratings methodology
NerdWallet’s auto insurance ratings reward companies for customer-first features and practices. Ratings are based on weighted averages of scores in several categories, including financial strength, consumer complaints, website transparency and affordability. Using our editorial discretion, we also consider customer satisfaction surveys. These ratings are a guide, but we encourage you to shop around and compare several insurance quotes to find the best rate for you. NerdWallet does not receive compensation for any reviews. Read oureditorial guidelines.
Methodology: Insurer complaints
NerdWallet examined complaints received by state insurance regulators and reported to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners in 2016-2018. To assess how insurers compare to one another, the NAIC calculates a complaint index each year for each subsidiary, measuring its share of total complaints relative to its size, or share of total premiums in the industry. To evaluate a company’s complaint history, NerdWallet calculated a similar index for each insurer, weighted by market shares of each subsidiary, over the three-year period. Ratios are determined separately for auto, home and life insurance.