New Hampshire residents can obtain health insurance through one of three options:
All documents have been saved in Adobe Acrobat format unless otherwise noted.
Adobe Acrobat Reader format. You can download a free reader from Adobe.
Consumer Health Insurance Guides
Getting Health Insurance:
Navigating the System:
If You Have Problems With Your Coverage:
Managing Your Costs:
- NH Health Cost: Search cost estimates for medical and dental procedures at facilities across the state, by insurance company; find information on quality of care at hospitals and medical facilities; learn more about getting and using your insurance benefits.
- A Guide to Managing Your Cost (NH HealthCost)
- Prescription Assistance Programs
COBRA and New Hampshire State Continuation Coverage
Self-Funded Employer Plans:
- If your plan is a “self-funded” benefit plan offered by an employer or bona fide union trust under a union contract, state insurance departments have no jurisdiction. Instead, you may file a complaint with the US Department of Labor Pension and Welfare Benefits Administration at 866-444-3272 or 617-565-9600.
- If you are uncertain which type of benefit plan you have i.e., fully insured, self-insured, or self-funded you should contact your human resource department or your insurance carrier for clarification.
If your health plan is self-funded but offered through a government or church employer, follow the appeals procedures outlined in your benefit booklet and/or other plan documents. In most cases ultimate responsibility for resolving these disputes rests with the governing body of the employer sponsoring the plan. You should contact your employer’s human resources department for more information.
For Those Who Have Disabilities:
If you have a disability, you may have certain protections available under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) You can reach the ADA Technical Assistance Center at 1-800-949-4232 or the US Department of Justice (American Disabilities Act Division) at 1-800-514-0301 (voice) or 1-800-514-0383 (TDD).
- U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Warning Regarding Medical Discount Plans
- Federal Healthcare Reform
- NH Department of Health and Human Services
- Health and Human Services – Find a Federally Funded Health Care Center
- New Hampshire Health Access -Helps NH residents with low income to receive health care and help with medications.
- Childrens Medicaid (DHHS)
- Administration on Community Living, US Department of Health and Human Services
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- NH Life and Health Insurance Guaranty Association
- NH Life and Health Guaranty Association Summary
- Internal Revenue Service
- Health Care Law & Your Tax Return Affordable Care Act & Taxes
- Health Care Tax Credits – Includes FAQs and other information
- National Association of Insurance Commissioners
- US Department of Labor